If you are planning on going to see Black Panther in theaters this weekend, here are ten facts to know about The Black Panther from the comics!
- The character debuted in July 1966 and the Black Panther Party was founded in October 1966.
- The title of Black Panther is bestowed to every monarch of Wakanda.
- Black Panther is the first black superhero in “mainstream” comics.
- The current Black Panther King T’Challa has a Ph.D. in Physics from Oxford and his antagonist played by Michael B. Jordan (Erik Killmonger) has a Pd.D. in Engineering from MIT.
- King T’Challa was married to X-Men member Storm also known as Ororo Munroe; their marriage was annulled after six years.
- The country of Wakanda has a rare mineral resource called vibranium, thanks to a meteorite crash. If you’ve heard of vibranium before, Captain America’s shield is made from it.
- Wakanda is the most technologically advanced country on Earth in the Marvel Universe and has never been colonized by any other nation.
- The elite warrior women who protect the Black Panther are called the Dora Milaje, also known as the Adored Ones/Midnight Angels.
- On your left! The Black Panther is faster than Captain America and Wolverine, running up to 50 MPH.
- The Black Panther is immune to all diseases, the wealth of Wakanda makes him the richest man on Earth for Marvel, his suit is bulletproof, and his superabilities include enhanced hearing, sight, smell, and of course strength.
Do you have anything to add to these facts to know about the Black Panther? Share yours in the comments below.
More from Features
Witchcraft was always meant to be demented and evil. But the desire for easy-to-consume entertainment morphed witch lynchings and demonic …