There are many hobbies out there that people take up that make them feel as if they have a purpose in life – after all, isn’t that what they are meant for? One of the hobbies that has really gained some traction and appreciation is cosplay. A form of performance, cosplay is becoming more and more popular in countries all around the world, and it’s become something that thousands have looked forward to every single year.
For some, they caught the bug when they tuned in to watch anime for the first time. Many different cosplay options and conventions start with anime TV shows and movies (hello, Pokemon and DemonSlayer). This allows fans to embody and enjoy characters that have made an impression on them. If you’ve heard of cosplay but you’ve been on the fence about getting started with it, here’s some of the reasons you should go for it and cosplay!
- It is one big community. Everyone taking part in cosplay is part of one big community of people with the same ideas and hobbies. You can meet new people and everyone will understand exactly why you’re there. People will appreciate the costumes you’re wearing and dressing up is just one way of showing your love for your favorite fandoms!
- It’s fun. Creating a costume is something fun to do and you are going to have the chance to get so creative with it. There are so many things that you get from cosplay but the chance to just let go and have fun has to be one of the best things about it. Characters in colorful customers, like minded people ready to laugh – what’s not to love?
- You can relieve your stress. When you are taking time to cosplay, you get the chance to leave your worries behind and really just enjoy yourself. You get to immerse yourself in characters you’ve come to love, and you can alleviate your stress from the moment you distract yourself with a costume to create.
- Everyone is accepted. The one thing that you will find most in cosplay is that you get the chance to feel like you belong somewhere. The acceptance that you feel around other cosplayers all dressed up is one of the best things about this community that you really won’t find anywhere else. All characters and creations are appreciated in the cosplay world, and you get to be whoever you want to be no matter what – people will love what you wear anyway!
- It’s affordable. Creating costumes and attending cosplay conventions is exciting but it’s also affordable. There is so much about cosplay that you will love, and you can spend hundreds of hours and a lot of cash to create the best version of yourself – or you can spend a little, and still be the best version of you that’s possible! It’s a versatile way to have fun, and you get to wear anything you like to represent your favorite character.
- You can do it with friends. Whether you are a couple who loves to cosplay, or you have a group of friends who love to cosplay, you can all do it together. It’s always a confidence booster to find common ground with someone else and cosplaying is the chance that you have to expand your horizons and really have the chance to bond together. Get everyone together and go as a team!
- It’s for everyone. It doesn’t matter if you’re shy, confident, going it alone or getting a group together, cosplaying is for everyone. It’s not just something to get nerdy over; there are some seriously intricate costumes in cosplay conventions! Every single anime TV show and movie has a fan that picks a character that they want to dress up as.
- You’ll feel that freedom. You can let go of all of the titles and labels that you have in your day to day life and instead, you get the chance to affect a new persona while you’re dressed as your favorite characters. You get to really embrace parts of your personality that you would usually tuck away and leave behind. It’s very freeing to put yourself out there in the world in a way you’re not really used to – and you won’t be able to go back once you get going!
- You can conquer your fears. If you’re generally introverted, you’ll find that cosplay is the doorway to the world that you didn’t know you needed. You won’t care what others think of you because you’ll be too busy showing off your new costume and feeling that confidence in not being ‘you’. If you’re scared to be out there in the world with others, this can be the coverage that you need to feel like you can find where you belong.
- You get to make your dreams come true. No, you don’t have magic powers. No, you can’t fly or use a sword with precision in the same way your favorite anime characters do. However, when you create and put on that costume, you will feel like you can. You’ll feel like you can do anything. Cosplay conventions and events are the best spaces that you can spend time in if you want to meet people with the same hobbies and loves that you have. You can literally make your dreams come true because you are choosing to do something that you really enjoy. The best part is that you might be able to meet some of your favorite characters and creators when you choose to go to cosplay events!
Thanks for reading this article!
If you’d like to share your thoughts in reaction to what you just read, then feel free to leave a comment below or click here to submit your own opinion piece. The Dorkaholics Team is always on the look for new, additional voices to join us, share their own unique perspectives, and contribute to the diverse platform we are building in our corner of the internet and pop culture community.